The members of Stone Temple Pilots must be feeling pretty good about their recent decision to move on without singer Scott Weiland, as their new song “Out Of Time” has hit Number One on the Active and Mainstream rock charts. The band issued a statement saying, “We’re really thankful to all the people listening to our music that made this happen. It feels great on so many levels.”
“Out Of Time” is the first STP song to feature new frontman Chester Bennington ofLinkin Park, who began working with the group earlier this year after they dismissed Weiland and filed a lawsuit against him.
Guitarist Dean DeLeo told us how the group approached Bennington: “We were very, very, very forthcoming and it was nothing like, ‘Hey, let’s get together and try this first.’ We were very, very focused and blunt and said, ‘We want you to sing for this band.’ We all know that Chester’s affiliated with another huge band, Linkin Park, and we in no way wanted this to interfere with that or the livelihood of his Linkin Park bandmates.”
- STP will release a five-song EP this fall, in conjunction with a North American tour that kicks off on September 4th in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania and winds down on September 27th in Las Vegas.
- STP fired Weiland in February and sued him in May, accusing him of using the band’s name to advance his solo career, while claiming that his poor performances, late arrivals, and addiction struggles harmed the band’s career.
Meanwhile, 16-year-old New Zealand singer Lorde has taken over the top spot on the Alternative chart with her song “Royals,” marking the first time that a female solo artist has topped that chart since Tracy Bonham did it with the song “Mother Mother” 17 years ago.
- “Royals” is taken from Lorde’s debut EP, The Love Club, and will also appear on her first full-length album, Pure Heroine, which is due out September 30th.
- Lorde recently said to Radio.com about the song’s success, “It’s beyond my wildest dreams. I try not to let it freak me out too much.”
- Lorde, whose real name is Ella Yelich-O’Conner, will start her first North American tour on September 25th in Los Angeles.