As rumored earlier this week, Metallica will play a concert in Antarctica next month, according to Blabbermouth. The one-of-a-kind show is being sponsored by Coca-Cola Zero and fans from several Latin and South American countries will get a chance to enter a contest and win the opportunity to join the band on the expedition.
Metallica stated, “After over 30 years as a band, we have been unbelievably fortunate to visit just about every corner of the earth . . . except for one. That is all about to change as we are set travel to Antarctica, the only continent that Metallica has never played on until now!! We are partnering with Coca-Cola Zero for one of the most unique and special concert events in our career as we’ll be performing near the heliport of the Argentine Antarctic Base Carlini on Sunday, December 8, 2013.”
- Fans from Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica and Mexico will be able to enter the contest, starting on October 28th and ending on November 22nd.
- The winners will leave on December 3rd in a cruise from the port of Ushuaia, in Tierra del Fuego, on a 10-day journey to Antarctica.
- While on their trip, the winners will get to view the landscapes of the continent. participate in lectures to be provided by specialists, see audio-visual material on the work of the scientists and receive environmental information.
- The concert will take place under a dome at the Carlini Argentine Base will be heard by the fans through headphones, with no other amplifiers or sound system. The gig will also be live-streamed in the participating countries.
- The first and so far only rock concert ever performed in Antarctica took place on July 7th, 2007 at British Antarctic Survey’s Rothera Research Station, one in a series of Live Earth concerts that were held on the same day in all seven continents.
- The science team’s indie-rock house band Nunatak performed as the lone act in front of only 17 people, although it was broadcast all over the world.
- Emo rockers Fall Out Boy were scheduled to perform in Antarctica several years ago, but the show was canceled due to bad weather.