If you’re into Radiohead, you probably know that singer Thom Yorke released his second solo album back in the fall. He tried an experiment using BitTorrent where people could buy the record for six dollars US, of which BitTorrent would keep 10% and the other 90% would go to Thom. It was a fantastic success with Tomorrow’s Modern Boxes registering 4.4 million downloads.
Doing the math, this points to an overall gross of $26.4 million, giving Thom a share of $23.76 million. But that’s just the potential figures because once you start digging into how BitTorrent Bundles worked for this experiment, things get foggy rather quickly. Even if the numbers are off by 90%, that still means Thom earned around $2.5 million. Not bad. Is this the future of music distribution for a certain level of artist?