The Fred and Mel #ChiliCookOff2015 featured 4 amazing made-from-scratch chili recipes! Mel has challenged listeners, Sasha (Bacon and cinnamon), Melina (Vegetarian w/ quinoa) and Ricky (Jalapeno beans & beef)
The judges have decided and the winner is….. MEL! Check out the winning recipe below just in time for the Super Bowl…
- 2 packages of lean ground beef
- 1 onion
- 1 celery stalk
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 can of tomatoes
- 1 can of tomato soup
- 2 cans of kidney beans — one red and one white
- pinch of hot chili flakes
- chili powder
- (you can put in some carrot and red/green pepper in if you like)
- Put some oil in a pot and brown the beef — drain any fat.
- Chop veggies finely or use cuisinart and put in all the veggies. Add to the meat and continue to saute.
- Add chili flakes
- Blend the tomatoes and add them to the pot.
- Add tomato soup & half a can of water
- Bring to simmer
- Add chili powder – at least 1 tsp.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes
- Drain and rinse the beans. Add to pot.
- Add salt and pepper
- Put lid partially on and let simmer for another 30+ minutes. (If too thick, add a little water)