The Pirate Party of Canada? The Rhinoceros Party? These are real political parties that are actively seeking your support for a better Canada. I’ve put together five parties you probably didn’t vote for this 2015 election along with a snippet of their platform.
- The Marijuana Party – Founded in 2000, the Marijuana Party of Canada seeks one thing and one thing only, to end the prohibition of cannabis. As for the economy, environment, and international affairs.. well I guess they forgot about those ones.. I’m not sure if this party will be around much longer provided our new PM Trudeau follows through with his campaign promise to legalize marijuana.
- The Pirate Party – Founded in 2010, net neutrality, government openness, and privacy protection are the major issues this party wish to advocate for. This party clearly wants to continue watching ‘Game of Thrones’ for free without having HBO sue them. That sounds pretty good to me.
- The Rhinoceros Party – Founded in 2006, this party promises to not keep any of it’s promises! These promises include to repeal the law of gravity, promote higher education by building taller schools, ban IKEA and android phones, and nationalize Tim Hortons! “You need a candidate in your riding? Be the candidate!”
- The Communist Party – Founded in 1921, the Communist Party of Canada is the second oldest registered party in Canadian history. Unlike the other parties listed here, the Communist party has actually won a seat in the house of commons back in 1945. If elected, this party would really shake things up in Canada with their eye widening platform. They would like to enforce a 32-hour work week with $20 as the minimum wage..
- The Bridge Party of Canada – As the newest party to enter our political arena, they seek to reform our democratic system. This party seeks to change the electoral system to try and level the playing ground for all political parties. This party’s main priority is conversation. I like talking.
So how did these parties do this 2015 election? According to Elections Canada:
- The Marijuana Party: 1,626 votes
- The Pirate Party: 906 votes
- The Rhinoceros Party: 7,349 votes
- The Communist Party: 4,382 votes
- The Bridge Party: 121 votes