Happy birthday to the rare handful of individuals who can celebrate their actual date of birth today. You are most likely still too young to drink…in theory. In the spirit of celebrating this day that only happens once every 4 years, here are a few interesting facts you may have not known.
1. People born on a leap day celebrate their birthdays on either the 28th of February or the 1st of March.
2. Tasmania’s eighth premier was born and died on a leap day.
3. Any hockey fans? A few Canadian hockey players celebrate their birthdays today, including Cam Ward, Simon Gagne and Henri Richard.
4. Many people believe leap years bring bad luck. Couples in Greece will steer away from getting married on a leap year for that reason.
5. On this day, it is acceptable for women in several cultures to be the ones proposing to men without waiting for them to do so first.
6. The Titanic sunk in 1912, which was in fact a leap year.