So what does it mean for UK music now that Britain is going to leave the EU? There are lots of negative things being said and many of them may come true. But think about this.
Whenever there has been negative political and economic turmoil, we end up getting some great music. Think about it.
- After the assassination of JFK, we got the British Invasion.
- Punk appeared out of the terrible recessions on both sides of the Atlantic in the middle 70s.
- When Reagan was in power, we got hardcore.
- Indie music in the UK exploded under Thatcher.
- We got grunge from the recession of the early 90s.
- The indie rock revolution after 9/11—and more indie after the financial crisis of 2008.
If we are staring at some kind of apocalypse, at least the music should be good.