1. George Washington borrowed money to be able to attend his first inauguration
Not only that, but he was actually inaugurated in 2 states. Why?
2. None of John Adams’ family attended his inauguration
I’ll be whatever I wanna be dad!!
Fun fact, he also skipped his successor’s inauguration. I guess he was still bitter.
3. Thomas Jefferson walked to and from his inauguration
He also dressed in plain clothes to demonstrate “Republican simplicity.”
4. James Buchanan announced he wouldn’t run for a second term during his inauguration
“Before I begin my career as president of the United States, I just wanted to let you know that I will never do this again.”
5. Jelly Belly created the blueberry jelly bean for Ronald Reagan’s inauguration
Reagan used jelly beans to drop his smoking habit, so they decided to use red, white and blue jelly beans for his campaign. More than 3 tons of Jelly Belly jelly beans were used in his inauguration.